Monday, December 22, 2014

Vegan Thumbprint Cookies

These days, I find it harder and harder to bring baked goods to the office that everyone can enjoy. With some coworkers being gluten free and others being vegan, it can be hard to balance all of the dietary restrictions. With my team's holiday party coming up, I wanted to make treats that everyone could enjoy.

While I've made vegan cupcakes before, I found it rather difficult to find a vegan cookie recipe. Finally, after about a half hour of internet searches and cookbook consulting, I finally found a winner: something that was vegan and could be made with things already in my pantry. Note that this is not actually gluten free though.

 
Almonds are coarsely ground in a food processor to make a chunky almond flour. Next, oats are also pulverized and mixed with the almonds a dose of flour. Canola oil and maple syrup are used to combine the dry ingredients. Since we're using oats, they will soak up additional water as you let the mixture set. I was happy that this recipe used up the last of my bottle of oil and maple syrup so it felt like I was making extra space in my pantry.

 
Forming balls of dough, you can make a dent in the center for the 'thumbprint' portion. The cookies are a little crumbly so may crack or come apart but can be easily pressed back together. The cookies are baked for 15-20 minutes with jam filled centers. Also make sure the jam is vegan.

The cookies tasted pretty healthy without butter or eggs in them. I was pretty proud that they turned out well and accommodated my vegan friend. Unfortunately, I didn't know that he also had a nut allergy. You can't win 'em all!

 


Recipe
adapted from Shutterbean

  • 2 cups whole almonds
  • 4 cups quick-cooking oats
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups of flour, divided
  • 1 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup maple syrup
  • Jam of choice
  1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350. 
  2. Using a food processor, pulse the almonds until they are coarsely chopped. You don't need to make it as fine as flour but the larger the chunks are, the more difficult it will be for the cookies to stay together.
  3. Place the ground almonds in a medium bowl. Now pulse the oats in batches in the food processor with the salt. 
  4. Combine the almonds, oats, and 1 1/4 cups of flour together in the medium bowl.
  5. Next, gently stir in the canola oil and maple syrup until well combined.
  6. Allow the mixture to stand for 10-15 minutes. If it is too runny, you can gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup of flour.
  7. Form the dough into small ball the size of an apricot. I used a small melon baller for this. Place the cookies on the baking sheet lined with parchment.
  8. Gently bore a small whole into the center of the cookies. I used the end of a spoon for this and also gently flattened the cookies slightly.
  9. Fill the holes with your jam of choice. 
  10. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  11. Allow the cookies to cool before serving or packaging for gifts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment