Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Pad Thai Zoodles

Do you have a go-to menu choice when eating out? I feel like I'm always torn between trying something new and trying something that I know I'll enjoy or won't cook at home. Like steak or burgers. When I go to Thai restaurants, I almost always order Pad Thai. Drunken Noodles sounds awesome but Pad Thai can't go wrong. I've found that there are a number of different ways to prepare Pad Thai though.

I came across this recipe via Pinterest when I was trying to learn how to use a spiralizer I got for my birthday. It seems simple enough but I wanted to make sure I was getting the maximum spiral out of it. This blogger tested a few different ways of creating zoodles (n. zucchini noodles) but I just went with a hand-held spiralizer.

I didn't have all of the ingredients for the noodle seasoning or sauce but I think it still came out pretty well. Definitely need to figure out how to keep cilantro readily available in my kitchen, just in case. If you don't have a spiralizer, you could chop up squash into small strips or you could use this sauce on regular noodles too.

The zoodles are cooked first, simply in olive oil for a couple minutes. I was concerned I had overcooked them but again, still tasted good to me! The same pan is used for the garlic sauteing and then red bell pepper cooking. The zoodles have been removed at this point and placed to the side.

In a separate bowl, the sauce is made by combining ketchup, brown sugar, fish oil, vinegar and chili powder (I think I actually used paprika). This will be added last. Once the peppers have cooked for a couple minutes, add the zoodles back in. Lastly, douse everything with the sauce and add some peanuts for extra crunch. Everything simmers for 5-10  minutes to really absorb the flavors.

In the original recipe, there are some green onions, cilantro and shrimp involved. It sounds great! And would really dress this dish up. But if you're looking to keep it simple or veggie, this came out great too! It has some kick to it from the paprika/chili powder but I wouldn't say it's classic Pad Thai which I don't really think of as being red sauce based. Thoughts?



Recipe
  • 1 medium zucchini, spiraled
  • 1 medium yellow squash, spiraled
  • 2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 2 Tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 Tablespoons fish oil
  • 3 Tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1/3 teaspoon paprika (or chili powder)
  • 1/4 cup peanuts
  1. Using your preferred spiralizer or lots of chopping, spiral two medium squash (I used one zucchini and one yellow squash).
  2. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a medium skillet and cook the zoodles for 2-3 minutes. 
  3. Meanwhile, chop up the bell pepper and garlic. 
  4. Remove the zoodles and set aside on a paper towel to absorb extra water. Wipe out the pan and heat the second tablespoon of olive oil. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant. 
  5. Next, add the chopped bell pepper to the pan with the garlic.
  6. In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, fish oil, ketchup, brown sugar and spice. Whisk with a fork to combine. 
  7. Add the zoodles back to the pan and pour the sauce over the bell pepper and garlic in the pan. Simmer for 1-2 minutes.
  8. Continue to simmer to let the flavors combine. Add the peanuts and cook for 3 more minutes.
  9. Serve hot! 


No comments:

Post a Comment