Wednesday, March 9, 2016

How to Prepare and Cook Spaghetti Squash

I love pasta. I love ravioli, tortellini, spaghetti, orecchiette, you name it. I also love bolognese, pesto and alfredo. So realistically, I love the sauces more than the pasta itself. Plain pasta is okay but ya know, I could take it or leave it. I've been experimenting with zoodles to fulfill my pasta cravings and now, I'm experimenting with spaghetti squash.

What I love about spaghetti squash is how easy it is to make. Zoodles aren't too bad either but you still have to spiralize things yourself. Spaghetti squash is literally made to be little squash strings. Once it's cooked and tender, a fork can run through it like soft butter and voila! Spaghetti.

Similar to how we roasted acorn squash, the spaghetti squash is sliced in half and the seeds are removed. I think a spork would do quite nicely here. Then, the halves are oiled and roasted, face down, until tender.

Then it's attacked with a fork. You immediately start getting long strands of squash and you're able to really empty the whole thing if you've baked it long enough.

Topped with some bolognese, I'm in heaven. This week, I did a simpler combination by pan cooking broccoli with tomatoes and chicken to add to the spaghetti squash. Oh and some spinach for good measure.

Recipe
  • 1 spaghetti squash
  • Olive oil for brushing
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
  2. Carefully chop the spaghetti squash in half, long-ways.
  3. Scoop out the seeds and strands like you would for carving a pumpkin.
  4. Brush olive oil around the cut side of the squash.
  5. Place face-down on the baking sheet and roast for 30-45 minutes (depending on size) until tender.
  6. To test if the squash is ready, turn over so it's face-up and poke with a fork. The fork should easily pierce the squash.
  7. Allow to cool slightly. Using a large fork, shred the squash into strands. Place cooked squash strands into a bowl and continue until all of the squash is removed from the rind.
  8. Add your favorite sauce or fixins to the mix! For this recipe, I added cooked chicken, broccoli, tomatoes and spinach.


No comments:

Post a Comment