Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Avocado Deviled Eggs

Last year I discovered that deviled eggs are an extremely tasty snack. Even though I'm an adult person (most days), I still hard boil and dye Easter eggs every year. Just for me and just 'cause. This year was no exception and like last year, I decided to make them into deviled eggs.

However, I wanted to try something that wasn't mayo-based. I don't normally have mayo around and buying a jar of it just for this dish seemed silly. So I found that most alternatives involve yogurt instead or are a complete departure from the traditional filling.

Well, I'm a huge fan of avocado so avocado-stuffed eggs sounded like a great plan. Instead of mayo, use one avocado and mash it with the egg yolks. If I were to do this over, I would season with some onion powder too but initially, I just added lemon juice and the standard paprika.

As long as you aren't expecting traditional deviled eggs, you're in good shape. As with many other healthy substitutions, if you think you're going to be eating the exact same thing, you'll be disappointed. Suspend your disbelief!

Recipe
  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 6 hard boiled eggs
  • 1 lemon
  • Paprika 
  1. After hard boiling the eggs, gently peel off the shell and cut the egg in half. 
  2. Remove the yolks and place in a bowl to the side. Place the empty white portion of the egg on your platter.
  3. Pit the avocado and add the avocado to the bowl with the egg yolks. You can also add cilantro, garlic or onion for more of a guacamole flare. 
  4. Mix together the avocado, egg yolks and juice from the lemon. I found using a large fork was the best way to mash everything together.
  5. Spoon the avocado mixture into the egg whites.
  6. Sprinkle with paprika for garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment