Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Cherry Chocolate Shake

I am not exactly what you would call a 'morning person'. I get this from my mom, neither of us are very functional when we first wake up. For her, she needs about three cups of coffee to carry on a conversation. For me, I just need a little bit of time and some food.

Unfortunately, brain power is needed to make breakfast so except on weekends when I lay in bed for awhile first, I zombie to the kitchen for a quick breakfast solution. In high school, this meant a bowl of cereal or some Eggo waffles. Now, it's for a shake I've prepared the night before.

 
Okay, yes, technically, this is a protein shake but don't run away! It's not a hulk out muscle protein shake, it's basically an excuse to have a faux-milkshake for breakfast! I've seen these called freakshakes as well and I think that's also exciting.

Usually, I make this the night before which allows the shake to become nice and thick. But it's so simple, you could easily make it half-awake in the morning. Simply blend coconut milk (which is slightly sweeter than almond milk), pitted cherries (maybe pit them when fully conscious), chocolate protein powder and avocado. You can't taste the avocado but it makes the shake thick just like a milk shake. Frozen bananas have a similar effect. I also add spinach, as long as you blend it for a good minute, you can't tell there's spinach in there as it doesn't add taste, just greens!

 
 My go-to protein is from Arbonne and is entirely plant based. I've tried other plant-based protein powders and they do not taste nearly as good. They also have a vanilla protein powder, more recipes with that to come!

Recipe
  • 1 1/2 cups coconut milk (or almond milk)
  • 1/2 cup cherries (pitted)
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 2 scoops Arbonne chocolate protein powder (or protein powder of your choice)
  • Handful of spinach (if desired)
  1.  Add ingredients to a blender. I usually add the milk first, then powder followed by spinach, avocado and fruit. If using a ninja-like blender, I put the solids closer to the blade so everything is blended smoothly.
  2. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate overnight for extra thickness.
  3. Enjoy in the AM, straight outta bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment