Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Love It or Hate It

Valentine's Day: a day solely devoted to forced romance or extreme single pride. People either love it and think it's mushy or adorable or sweet or they hate it and think it's a holiday invented by card companies, drawing harsh awareness to being single. Grab your girl squad, order some questionable pizza toppings and bring on the Ryan Gosling movies. Grey area acquired.

Speaking of divisive things, here is a list of foods that I've found people either vehemently despise or unequivocally love:

1) Cilantro/Coriander- Apparently there is actually some kind of genetic trait that makes cilantro (coriander in the UK) taste like soap to half the population (also, 60% of statistics are made up on the spot...). The other half of us love to add this to guacamole and just about any other dish that needs a flavor kick in the pants.

2) Pineapple on Pizza- This has been a raging debate in my flat, often fuelled by gin and the fact that we live across the street from a Papa John's. Pineapple gets all hot and mushy when you cook it. I already burn my mouth on the hot pizza sauce as I eagerly chow down but add boiling hot pineapple juice? No thank you. Also gross. Pineapple is delicious but not on pizza.

3) Marmite- What in the heck is this spread? Whyyyyyy not have Nutella? Or peanut butter? Or anything else but gravy flavoured goo. Okay, let's back up. Similar to cilantro, Marmite seems to be a genetic taste bud situation and is famously divisive. Their commercials even play up to this with families having genetic tests to determine if they are born lovers or haters. So I tried a tiny bit once and it basically tastes like super salty gravy. Not with my cup of tea, thank you.


4) Raisins- I didn't realize raisins were such an issue until I started making fruit cakes. Even though grapes are okay and wine is definitely okay, dried out grapes are a no-go for many people. This causes a great decrease in the consumption of fruit cake, carrot cake, granola and oatmeal raisin cookies at the office. I get it, they're mushy and kinda weird but what is an oatmeal raisin cookie without the raisins?? Just oatmeal...

5) Brussels Sprouts- I think the only people who love Brussels sprouts with a fiery passion are other people in my family. Everyone else I've met has been like 'oh yeah, Brussels sprouts are good' but not like 'omg I can't go another minute without sprouts!'. I have disliked Brussels sprouts my entire life. If I had a dollar for every person who responds with 'oh but that's because you haven't had them cooked my way', I could quit my job and blog full time. "I do not like them in a house, I do not like them with a mouse. I do not like them here or there, I do not like them anywhere". I do not like them with butter or sugar or even bacon! Save the bacon!!!!

What other foods do you love that others hate? What about you hate but others love? Is there a grey area?

No comments:

Post a Comment